Ideas by Factor, where we provide a number of ideas for addressing problems associated with each of the 25 Factors. Practical ideas which you can put to work to close the gap between ‘Your Ideal’ environment for innovation and ‘Your Reality’. Ideas by Factor.
New Series; Thinking about each Factor separately or together
F#1; Thinking about achieving short versus long term profits.
F#7 and F#14; Thinking about rewards and recognition for innovation.
F#11 and F#18; Thinking about delegation and decentralization.
F#4 and F#23; Thinking about searching for ideas.
F#3, F#5, F#8 and F#9; Thinking about the ‘tolerances’.
All F#s; overall results and interpretation.
Tools – a step by step approach for improving innovation. Tools – Six steps.
Worksheets, which provide a convenient way to note your own corporate environment and compare it to a highly innovative company. Worksheets.
A picture of the relationship of various contributors to innovation is presented. The picture portrays the fact that there is not one policy or management practice which, by itself, can be expected to improve innovation. The Maize.
CIO identifies policies, management practices and ideas which contribute to innovation in large and medium-sized (i.e. SMEs), idea-intensive, highly-respected companies. Insight into innovation at companies such as; Google (pptx), HP (pre-split), DSM, and Koch Industries.
There is a special section for those interested in smaller organizations, i.e. SMEs.
What one can learn from this research?
- There is a consistency, a pattern, which emerges from CIO’s examination of the policies and management practices of these companies. Innovation is sustained through applying not one, but the appropriate combination of management practices.
- Not all companies embrace the idea of being innovative but if an organization wishes, or needs to be innovative to survive and grow, it is absolutely essential that leadership – the Board, CEO, and senior management – lead the effort.
- Innovation involves risk. Improved information and better measures are needed at senior levels to portray innovation so that the risk level associated with change is clear.
- There is a set of tools which can provide help to those organizations wishing to be innovative.
- Stock price performance does not always correlate with innovation but longevity does.
CIO’s research is open to all who wish to click on the subject of their choice. For several research reports CIO charges a fee. Comments are always welcome.
Is innovation management or innovation programmable? You decide. Steve Johnson’s’ The playful wonderland behind great inventions’.
SAP have an ‘Innovation Management Framework’ and a self-evaluation protocol which can be helpful.
MICROSOFT has a framework; Microsoft Framework.
Innovation tools; idea management software.
How to become an innovative company. 130 pages on virtually all aspects of innovation management and strategy. Published by the Government of Catalonia.
A.T.KEARNEY shares some research; A.T. Kearney.
Are you up for a course in innovation management? MIT Open Course Ware.
Conference Board of Canada. Index of corporate innovation. Another approach to quantification.
Capgemini have a focus on innovation management; Capgemini’s Co-Innovation Labs.
From the Stanford University Entrepreneurial Corner, Astro Teller provides his insight on how to encourage innovation and the usefullness, or not, of OKRs. Systematize Innovation. You may not agree with all he says!